Thursday, December 16, 2010

Yummy clean eating enchilada's

These enchilada's are so yummy!!  I got this one from the clean eating magazine from the month of Nov/ Dec with some of my own little changes. I use corn tortillas (recipe calls for wheat tortillas), I get mine from Trader Joe's the only ingredients are corn and lime.  Be sure to always check the ingredients on the packaged foods you're buying there can be some hidden preservatives! 

Serves 5

Corn tortillas
1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
Fresh cilantro

Chicken Mixture
3 cups of shredded chicken ( I use canned to save me time)
4 oz canned green Chile's
1 tsp hot sauce (I used Tabasco, it's natural)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground cumin ( I add a little extra, I love this spice)
1 tsp Chile powder (I'll do Cayenne sometimes to give it an extra kick)
Black pepper
sea salt

Sauce
15 oz all natural tomato sauce (I get the no salt added)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 1/2 tsp Chile powder or Cayenne (do less if doing Cayenne)
sea salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350, combine all chicken mixture ingredients in large nonstick pan heat for about 5 minutes remove from heat and set aside.   Combine all sauce ingredients in same pan and warm for about 10 minutes.

In a 8x11 casserole dish spread a thin layer of the sauce over the bottom. I spread a total of 6 corn tortillas on the bottom then add chicken mixture a little bit of cheese and some sauce then top with 6 more corn tortillas add sauce and cheese to top and bake for 20 minutes.  Can sprinkle with cilantro and a dab of plain greek yogurt.

This recipe is one that Vann and I have perfected over time (most times :)) it's hard to say the amount of the ingredients but I'll try my best. 

Spanish Rice

2 tbsp of olive oil
1 cup of white Basmati rice
1/2 medium onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp ground cumin ( I add a little extra)
Dash of sea salt
1 15oz can of diced tomatoes (with juice) Or we also use fresh tomatoes 2 Roma's will do get the juices in there too.
1 small can of tomato sauce (no salt)
1-2 cups of reduced sodium chicken broth (make sure the rice is covered with liquid)
2 tbsp of fresh cilantro

In a saucepan heat the olive oil then add rice and stir constantly letting it get nice and brown (about 4-6 minutes).  Add the onion, garlic, cumin and salt cook, stirring until the onion softens.  Add the diced tomatoes and let the juice evaporate until the mixture is nearly dry.  Then add the tomato sauce let boil for about a minute then add the broth.  Let boil for another minute then reduce the heat to low and cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until the juice has evaporated.  Remove from heat and let stand for a few minutes, fluff rice and stir in the cilantro.

This night we used Trader Joe's Black Re-fried Beans I add water to it to thin it out a bit.

So there it is, a healthy Mexican dinner!

1 comment:

Dallin and Ashley said...

Thank You!!! Can't wait to make these!